When you enter the market or decide to purchase this equipment, you will find that there are tens of thousands of tablet presses on the market.
Of course, for starters, the confusion that comes with choosing the product that best suits your needs can be overwhelming. They vary in design, size and many other configurations. That’s why you need to properly understand this machine type before making your choice.
At present, there are two main categories of tablet presses. These models differ in many ways. For this reason, this article provides an in-depth analysis of the two types of tablet presses to better understand the appropriate classification when choosing.
Single Station Tablet Press Machine
This is arguably the simplest type of tablet press machine you can ever find. You may also refer to it as an eccentric press or a single punch.
Single-station tablet machines come in different designs, sizes as well as configurations. On the hand, you’ll operate some of the machines manually.
Typically, this type of equipment often features a single tooling station with a die and pairs of upper and lower punches.
However, the compression force that this machine uses is a result of the upper punch only. So all this time the lower punch tends to remain stationary.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Single Station Tablet Press
Below are some of the main advantages of single station tablet press machine:
- As you can see, this machine operates in a simple way. And of course, that is a significant advantage. You don’t even need to pursue further training merely for operating this machine.
- It uses high pressure. This is advantageous because it allows it to reduce the weight variants in tablets.
- This machine also allows you to manufacture tablets with different forms of odd and unique shapes. It’s beneficial since it gives you the freedom to produce customized tablets.
- It is ordinarily strong owing to the fact that the materials for its construction are hardy. Furthermore, it also covers a small space hence you can use it even when the workspace is limited.
- This equipment operates in a relatively silent mode. It is not easy to realize that it is running since it doesn’t produce the irritating noise hence helping you to do other tasks conveniently.
- It is also advantageous when it comes to manufacturing small quantities, specifically in research and development.
- Of course, at times you only need to produce a small batch that you probably want to use for carrying out some tests.
- So this machine comes in handy in such cases hence enabling you to save on resources.
- You will also find it easy to control the material loading process when using this machine. Such that every other aspect revolving around the loading process will be seamless.
On the other hand, a notable disadvantage of this machine is that it is expectedly slower. Apparently, this is a result of the fact that it only uses a single puncher. It is also difficult to clean and can consume quite a significant amount of time to get it perfectly clean.
Multi-station Tablet Press/Rotary Tablet Press
This is the second category of a tablet press machine. A rotary tablet press is a mechanical equipment with numerous tooling stations that rotate to compress granules into similar sizes, shapes, and weights.
We refer to it as a rotary tablet press which results from the idea that it has a rotating tableting assembly. Ideally, it is this specific assembly that holds both lower and upper punches as well as the dies.
The essence of inventing this particular machine was to primarily increase the volume of tablets during production.
Ultimately, this would also impact the overall cost of production since it reduces it significantly. This equipment produces a compaction force on the fill material which both the lower and upper punches exert.
The result here is that the exertion leaves the powder mixture or granules for compression in the middle.
Two main aspects determine the capacity of a rotary tablet press machine;
- A number of stations on the press.
- Rotation speed of the turrent.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Multi-station Table press
Now, these are some of the main advantages of rotary tablet press machine:
- This machine increases high production output which is vital because it plays an essential role in cutting down operating and labor costs.
- You can regulate the weight and hardness of this machine independently thus increasing its operational convenience.
- It works seamlessly such that a moving feeder can automatically manage a powder-filled component without difficulty. The rotary press is relatively faster with an output ranging from 9000 to 234000 tablets per hour.
This is a clear indication that it saves a considerable amount of time, especially when in need of producing a large number of tablets.
- This machine also reduces the waste of valuable formulations since it does not feed them in non-specific tablets.
- The rotary press also features automated systems, which is necessary as it reduces most human activities. It thus leads to accuracy and consistency in the tableting process.
- One significant disadvantage of this type of tablet press unit is that is somewhat expensive to acquire. But the truth is that the price is worth the efficiency you get from it
The other advantage worth noting is that it requires a little bit of knowledge given that it features several automated systems.
- The high rate of possible pollution is the other disadvantageous reason for this machine. Ordinarily, the lubrication systems of this machine use a liquid lubricant.
- At times, such lubricants may cause a sealing effect which won’t necessarily be ideal with the tablets hence causing contamination.
- Also, it won’t necessarily be ideal for producing small batches hence making it somehow unsuitable for small-scale production or R&D projects.